Thursday, May 1, 2008

Will it ever slow down...

Will life ever slow down again? I like to be busy with the kids most days but there are some days that I just need things to slow down.

Today was a crazy one...it started with breakfast and getting ready for school. Alex to school by 8:35am, Drew & Autumn to school by 9:00am, to Ellen's to set up for our garage sale...there was a lot to do. We dug out stuff that didn't sell 2 years ago when we tried this so hopefully the right people will come and want our stuff this time. Of course we added a ton of more stuff from the last 2 years. Or the stuff we were holding onto 2 years ago that we decided we just don't NEED anymore...some of it was sentimental stuff from the kids when they were babies! Pick up Drew, Autumn & Hannah from preschool at 11:30am, back to Ellen's to feed the kids lunch and work more on the garage sale, pick up Alex from school, come home and crash on the couch for a few minutes before making dinner and rushing off to soccer...

It was a tiring day but in the end...it was good! I spent some time with my sister who I love and look up to in so many ways. I love you Ellen. I admire you for what you have gone through this last year and especially the last 3 months. We haven't forgotten about Baby Jacob and how much he means to our family! I know the days and weeks and months are not easy right now but I am praying for you and I know that God is using your heartbreak to touch others and to make you stronger, I can already see it. We never understand why but just like that blog and message from that pastor says...God doesn't have a Plan B even though the plans we have didn't work out. That really stuck with me last night as I was reading that...I watched Alex win another soccer game and work hard out on the field. He is an awesome team player and I am so proud of him for that. I watched Drew laugh and play with my dad during the game (Thanks Papa for making it to the game today, and Nana we missed you but know you were busy with stamp class). AND earlier in the day I laughed really hard as Autumn through a major whiny fit. I was only laughing because if she could only see what I saw...that's the funny part, we don't always see how ridiculous we look or sound to those around us. Things that bother us or hurt us seem so silly to others but so significant to us (at the time).

I am really working on the mom thing...I want to be a fun mom BUT in charge. I want my kids to want to listen to me, obey me, and respect me...and right now they aren't doing that all too often. Ellen told me about a book and I got it right away and it's good... "Have a New Kid by Friday" By: Dr. Kevin Leman...I am learning a lot and I am excited to finish the book and put the principles into practice. What Ellen shared with me and what I am beginning to see is that the changes need to take place in me before I can implement them in my kids. I need to take a step back, calm down and most importantly FOLLOW THROUGH! I am excited because I was sharing a little bit about it with Craig and he is so supportive of me and wants the best for me and the kids. He even said if I flag the important paragraphs he will read them so we can be on the same page and work on this together....that blew me away...that he will take the time to help me do that! God has really blessed me with that man. I know I don't show it enough or even tell him enough how much he means to me. It's funny because people ask how long we've been married...6 months and I still haven't known him a complete year yet :) We met online June 2nd, talked on the phone the 16th, met in person a few days later, went on our first date July 2nd and here we are...in love, married, and happy! Some people weren't too sure about how fast everything went but I knew that Craig was good for me and my kids and that God was in control.

I guess I need to sit back and reflect more often and really see throughout the day the things I could do differently, say differently, the ways I can bless others (even my own kids) in my daily duties as mom, wife, sister, daughter, and friend!


No comments: